On Friday, the City of Phoenix’s Community and Economic Development department released a ‘wish list’ of properties they’d like to propose for redevelopment in 2019. The properties targeted are mostly parking lots along the Phoenix Light Rail corridor, with the exception of the American Legion building at 7th & Grand, and a City admin building at 5th Avenue and Adams.
The full list:
- 19th Avenue & Montebello Park-and-Ride
- 19th Avenue & Camelback Park-and-Ride
- Three adjacent lots next to the I-10 between Jefferson and Washington
- Two adjacent lots along Central Ave between Columbus and Weldon (Midtown, just South of Indian School)
- A former city admin building at Adams and 5th Avenue and an adjacent surface parking lot
- The American Legion property at 7th and Grand Avenues
- A surface parking lot at Central & McKinley, directly across the street from The Stewart
- The parking garage immediately South of the Hyatt Regency hotel, at 1st Street & Adams.
It’s unclear yet what the city’s goals are in offering these properties for redevelopment. Specifically regarding the two Park-and-Ride lots, it’s likely the City is looking to retain the Park-and-Ride functionality at these locations while adding street-facing residential or commercial components, rather than close them altogether. It’s also unclear if the City intends to obtain a new facility for the American Legion Post #1, integrate it into a new development, or eliminate it entirely. These questions are likely to be answered as the individual RFPs are issued next year.
In the meantime, Merry Christmas!